Thursday, February 28, 2013

Salvation or Self-Deception?

In keeping with our current Sunday morning sermon series: Salvation or Self-Deception? I thought this paragraph from the book Follow Me by David Platt was fitting:

Sometimes I ask people, "How do you know that you are a Christian?" Or "How do you know you are saved from your sin?"  The most common replies I hear from professing Christians are "Because I decided to trust in Jesus" or "Because I asked Jesus to save me however many years ago" or even "Because I have given my life to Jesus."  Notice how each of these replies begin with the words, "Because I...." such responses are not wrong, and I assure you my aim is not to be the word police, but I do want to offer what I hope is a healthy reminder that you and I are not saved from our sin primarily because we decided to do something however many years ago.  Instead, we are saved from our sin ultimately because Jesus decided to do something two thousand years ago. And based upon His grace, His mercy, and His love in coming to us, sinners totally unable to save ourselves, we have been invited to follow Him.  The love of God in the life and death of Christ is the only foundation for authentic salvation.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment